Friday, April 1, 2011

McDonalds. Yes, McDonald's, the American health antagonist.

After seeing Food, Inc. I decided to revert back to my vegetarian ways. I was a vegetarian for about 3 years up until my last year of college when I went vegan then went crazy (stress) and completely fell off the wagon. Why vegetarian? Health and animal rights. Let's leave it there.
However, after my new yoga studio visit, I ran straight towards the McDonald's down the street and had a sad and unsatisfying meal followed by guilt. But first, let me explain my first two yoga classes at Dhyana Yoga Studio.
Two weeks ago, a blessing came out of the sky: My Rutgers University refund check of $300. So naturally, I set aside some money for gas, cat food (Marie has to eat), etc. and $30 for the three week pass at Dhyana Yoga in Philadelphia.
My first class was on Monday and I decided to go to the beginner's vinyasa 101 class. To say the least, I was not impressed. The classes are only about an hour long and a few minutes are spent with the teacher talking about events, then chanting and the like. I consider myself a spiritual person and have no problem with chanting, however, I don't like chanting without any explanation of what we are saying in sanskrit. Yoga sutras are important, students should know what they are! Otherwise I feel as if I'm just chanting jibberish for no reason!
As for the poses, blocks, blankets, and straps were frequently used and I felt not every student needed them, including myself. I don't feel like I got a good stretch at all and barely broke a sweat. I felt the same way the second class. After walking out together, I thought about never going back. I was advised that I might be a little confused in all levels vinyasa, but I'm strongly considering going there tomorrow at least to try one before I give up on Dhyana forever.
The instructors are all very nice, but I found myself bored to death (I know, I have a terrible attention span, but those classes can't possibly help!). And I was a little repulsed by the instructions "pull your knees to your chest and give yourself a big hug". I felt like I was in kindergarten again, and not in a good way. I wanted to run screaming back to the Bikram yoga studio, but everything deserves a fair chance.
My focus tomorrow will be simply to give something else a try, and not to wind up at McDonald's again.

No comments:

Post a Comment